15/8/18 – Geeetech PLA

Geeetech was kind enough to provide me 2 spools of their PLA.
They were provided by GIANTARM-EU (Amazon.it)

I’m going to test both spools next to each other.

Both spools came from Amazon Italy. They were ordered/shipped on Thursday with tracking, on Monday they fell in front of my door. Quick delivery!

The boxes are clean and nice, nothing fancy, with a clearly readable label on them and a window in the box to see the filament color. The yellow color holds the middle between shiny and dull. The spools are nicely packed in a vacuum plastic bag, which also contains a small bag of silicate to avoid moisture being picked up by the filament. The spools contain 1 kg plastic. The filament is not brittle when bending between your fingers. The yellow has an average diameter of 1.72 mm. About the green I had my doubts. With an average of 1.705 mm over 5 meters distance and 20 measurementpoints (I doubled the number of testing points, since the results were so “disturbing”). The diameter fluctuated from 1.67 mm to 1.75 mm. 

  
 

 

The first test is een temperature tower, printed on 0.2 mm layers. To achieve nice prints, you’ll need to find out the best temperature for your printer. This can be different from brand to brand, but even with the same brand, changing colors can have different temperatures. Geeetech suggests for their PLA temperatures in the range of 180°C-210°C. On my printer, I got the best result on 205°C. I was very positively surprised by the very little stringing on the yellow. And this in the complete temperature window. The green had a little more stringing, but was more “normal”.

  

 

My calibration piece  was next to test.  Testing temperature: 205° C., layers op 0.2 . NO supports!

               

Top         

Front:     

Side:        

We’ve got a similar result as in the other tests: Green is stringing a bit more then yellow. In the front- and sideview, we notice an error in the bottom sphere of the green cube. This is kind of normal, since the design of this tool and printing without supports, pushes the printer and filament to the edges.

 

To finish this test we’re going to print the owls again. This time 205°C, but 150 micron. Again NO supports!

   

  

150 micron gives me a very nice result. Under the beak are no errors, even without the use of supports.  In the last picture of the yellow owl, you’ll notice in the toplayers a couple of dots, resulting in not 100% sharp edges. Personally, I blaim myself for that, not the filament. A little more playing with the retraction settings should do the trick. This would problably also get better results in the green for the (allready minimal) stringing.

 

Conclusion:

  • Adhesion of small parts on the printing surface is perfect.
  • The yellow spool had a constant filament diameter. The green fluctuated (average 1.705 mm) a bit to much in my opinion, but gave me a much better then expected endresult. That was a total surprise.
  • My best printing temperature: 205° C.
  • I’ve used the temperature towers to test strenght (breaking). The bonding between the layers was very strong and doesn’t break with the bare hands.
  • Stringing is very hard to find in the yellow. There’s a little more on the green, but negligible. I was surprised in a positive way here.
  • With a well calibrated FDM-printer, you  can get real nice, smooth sides.
  • The 1 real minor point is, toplayers sharp edges were not everywhere the best result. This is probably due to my standard printer profile (retraction) I am convinced, with a few tweaks in my printing profile, this issue is to go away.
  • What I’ve noticed afterwards, but what I personally like a lot: the printed items are a little more dull then we are used when printing PLA. It’s not that they’re no more shining at all, but just that little less…
  • When seeing the prints, this filament as a great value for money..

This filament I would definatly buy for myself!

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial